Frequently Asked Questions – OSP

  1. What is Offshore Safety Permit (OSP)?

Offshore Safety Permit (OSP) is a Personnel Accountability System (PAS) service to be used by Oil and Gas operators and contractors in Nigeria for personnel tracking at onshore and offshore installations.


  1. Who can obtain an OSP?

OSP is required for any persons wishing to travel to an offshore facility, marine vessel, barge or rig operated in the Nigerian oil and gas industry. Traveling is by boat or helicopter.


  1. Is training required for an OSP?

Registration of personnel is mandatory by the DPR with or without training. However, the DPR has mandated that companies must train their personnel.


  1. How much does it cost to obtain an OSP?

The OSP fee is USD $680 per personnel


  1. What is the validity period of an OSP?

The OSP has a one (1) year validity and can be used for as many trips when valid.


  1. How much does it cost to renew an OSP?

The renewal fee is $135 per permit.


  1. Does OSP only apply to Nigerian citizens?

No, the OSP applies to any personnel (Nigerian or Non-Nigerian) going to work in an offshore location in Nigeria.


  1. Can payment be made in Naira?

No.  Payment cannot be made in Naira at this moment. Payment can only be made in US Dollars into the DPR account provided.


  1. What happens when a personnel who owns a valid OSP leaves company A to company B?

Company A will send WAEL an email confirming exit of employee.


  1. What happens when a personnel who owns an expired OSP leaves company A to company B?

Company B will pay for its renewal.


  1. When and where does image capture take place?

This is done at various embarkation points. The available locations will be communicated to you during the registration process when you are due for image capture.


  1. How long is the registration process?

Although there are no guarantees due to payment confirmations, the registration process can take as little as 1 week to 3 weeks.


  1. Can personnel still go offshore after card has expired?



  1. When will we get our permits?

Once you inform us of the successful capture, permits will be produced within a week.


  1. Where and how do we get our OSPs?

Upon production of the OSPs, you will received an email from WAEL. Collection hours are typically from 10AM to 4PM from Monday to Friday at our head office.


  1. Will a temporary permit be issued while waiting on the permanent one?

No, there’s no need for a temporary permit.


  1. What happens when a card is lost/stolen?

If a card is lost or stolen, you will have to provide a sworn affidavit, police report and a letter/email from your company before a replacement can be made.


  1. What happens when a card needs to be replaced?

You will have to pay a fee as instructed by DPR.

Did you know?

WAEL has developed credible partnerships with reputable oil and gas industry experts across the globe and particularly in Europe.

This website uses cookies and asks your personal data to enhance your browsing experience.